Monday, July 23, 2007

Soon "I LOVE MATILDA" Tattoo May Not Be Permanent

Some of my multitude (?) of readers may have tattoos, and that is their business and none of mine. But this blog is educational (?) and informative (?), and I report whatever seems to interest me.

A new tattoo dye will find its way into some tattoo parlors this fall which will be much more easily removed than the type of dye currently used. This dye has something to do with trapping dye pigments in microscopic beads coated with a safe, biodegradable plactic. I'll have to take the developer's word, Edith Mathiowitz, professor of medical science and engineering at Brown University, that this sort of thing is going to work. Understanding most chemical reactions in or on the body is a little out of my league.

For those who have the urge to get a tattoo that expresses their eternal love in a relationship and yet they feel that someday they may have regrets (three cheers for committment) they can opt for a tattoo that really doesn't have to be permanent -- makes for a great exit strategy for a partnership that goes south.

Apparently the removal process allows for the tattoo to be zapped away with a single laser treatment that is simpler and less expensive than the barrage of seven to fifteen treatments needed with the current dye. Sometimes it does require some time for the image to completely fade away. There is still a fairly steep cost for this process but not as much as the numerous treatments now required.

The report says that while the idea of a removable tattoo may be intriguing to some, those artists in the industry are somewhat skeptical, especially since the new dye is considerably more expensive. Jerry Lorito, vice president of the tattoo removal company, Tat2BeGone, says"I don't know anyone who would pay more for a tattoo where their thought is, 'Maybe one day I'm going to remove this.'"

According to a study reported in the Journal of American Academy of Dermatologists 36% of Americans between the ages of 18 to 29 get tattoos.

That statistic is not hard for me to believe. My favorite place to study the human race (?) is WalMart. Those of us who are really interested in the study of people owe a debt of gratitude to Sam Walden for providing not only a great commercial establishment but a place frequented by individuals of all shapes, sizes, economic status, races and looks. Next time you are there, and I know all of you go, check out the tattoos. Some sort of blue color seems to be the most prevalent. Maybe it is cheaper to get a one-color job, but I prefer a little more pizzaz when I get mine. Also, take a look at college and pro athletics, especially basketball players, because their uniforms allow them to show more skin. Again this blue color seems to be the one of choice.

It bears repeating that the problem of committment is going to rear its ugly head for some. I think I know how we are going to solve this problem, and if both partners in the relationship could agree that this thing may run into some snags down the road then we might just be able to start a new tattoo industry where the thing can be drawn on the selected body part with a semi-
permanent magic marker. When and if the bond between the two lovers seems to be getting to the breaking point, about three good showers with a strong soap should do the trick. The tatoo can always be reapplied if the relationship gets back on track.

Anyone who is interested in investing in my idea can contact me at this blog -- I really need the money.

No comments: