Friday, July 27, 2007

August 16, 1977 -- Do You Remember?

To most of the readers of this blog August 16, 1977, probably has little or no significance unless you happen to really be into music. But to many fans around the world this is the 30th anniversary of an emotion-ridden event.

I will give you a little hint -- Tupelo, Mississippi, is already gearing up for a remembrance celebration for fans who will be there from everywhere, and Memphis will be the site of observances as well.

The Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal (Tupelo Newspaper) is urging people to write in 350 words or less their remembrances of this fateful day. I am old enough to remember (the subject of this post would have been only a few years older than I), but I don't really have a lot of memories of that day because I was not a fan of this person even though I did appreciate the talent.

By now you have guessed that Elvis Presley died on August 16, 1977. I am telling or reminding you of this so that you may appropriately commemorate the date.

Of course the King's fans from everywhere will come to Tupelo because of it being his birthplace.
The date of his birth was January 8, 1935 -- do the math for his age if he had lived. Would he still be entertaining? Would he have lost any weight -- he was getting a little puffy toward the end. Would he have approved of one of Lisa Marie's marriages? These and other questions we will just have to ponder.

A funny story (or maybe you would have to have been there) -- years ago I was attending a sales meeting in Memphis at what was then the airport Hilton (now the Holiday Inn Express -- like the commercial). Anyway the hotel was filled with Elvis fans, and most of the males were Elvis wantabees. Imagine what it was like to be in a huge crowd of Elvis look-a-likes -- the term look-a-likes should be used loosely -- some of them got close to the look, but some of them were absolutely pitiful. Even though the sales meeting was very stressful, we were able to get some laughs.

I also remember seeing Elvis' first appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show. The camera would not show him below the waist because the censors thought his wiggle was vulgar. Vulgar has taken on a whole new meaning now.

I'm bringing this to your attention at this early date, so that you may plan to celebrate the occasion. You've got about 20 days to find a costume, borrow a guitar and practice your wiggle. Is 20 days enough time to grow sideburns?

2 comments:

Travis said...

I am a little upset. You did a whole post on Elvis and not once mentioned your trip to Graceland II. I guess Paul McLeod and his collection didn't make a big impression on you.

Little Daddy said...

Travis,

How thoughtless of me. After all you spend your time taking me to probably the biggest and bestest collection of Elvis memorabilia in the whole wide world, and I completely ignore it in my post about the King. And who could ever forget Paul McLeod who was one of the nicest guys I have ever met (he liked you better).

I suppose the trip to Graceland II will have to be the subject of a post real soon. But maybe first I need a trip back to refresh my memory and maybe just maybe Paul has finished the new attraction out back and gotten a new set of false teeth.