Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Did You Celebrate "Leon Day?"

Yesterday, June 25th, was "Leon Day" as pointed out in freakonomics.com/blog. Thanks to Caleb for telling me about this site -- there is usually some good stuff there.

Freakonomics got the Leon Day thing from ButlerWebs' Holiday Guide. Leon is Noel spelled backwards, and it is now exactly six months until Christmas. The holiday is also known to some as 1/2Xmas,

I'm not too wild about the 1/2Xmas thing -- I never liked Xmas for Christmas. But I think "Leon" is kinda nice, and who couldn't use another holiday. I would put on one of those turban-looking things and a robe and celebrate Ramadan if my boss would believe that I had converted to Islam. I'll do anything for a day off -- lie, cheat and/or steal.

Holidays are fantastic, and I am going to start a petition to send to our esteemed and mostly ineffectual "lawmakers" in Washington that all national holidays be moved to either Monday or Friday. Three-day weekends would abound on the calendar -- and what's greater than a three-day weekend but a four-day weekend?

We would have to keep Thanksgiving on Thursday, so we get off both Thursday and Friday. Only a real nasty boss would make one come back on Friday after Thanksgiving. This would have to be explained carefully and slowly to our "lawmakers", or they will screw it up.

Back in my younger days I had a friend, Jimmy Devers, when I lived in Amory, Mississippi. Jimmy's mom would always put big letters in their picture window spelling "NOEL" for the Christmas season, and he would always change the letters to "LEON." It would take her a few days to notice the change. He did it every year and sometimes several times during the holiday season -- you would think that she would have caught on after three or four times.

Devers was one before his time -- he might have invented "Leon Day", and never knew it albeit he had the day about six months late.

So a belated and happy Leon's Day. Let's remember to celebrate in style next year.

No comments: