Thursday, August 2, 2007

Blogging Has Its Good Side

To my many (?) loyal fans I offer my sincere apologies for having this blog on hiatus since Monday, but since I started this piece of nonsense back in June I have logged in almost 50 posts -- the old brain is tired and sapped out -- had to have a rest. Plus material has gotten a little scarce.

This blogging business can get a little scary in that you sometimes gets comments from weird people and/or weird places -- I have gotten both. But what has really amazed me is there are readers whom one is surprised that they are wasting their time doing so. And then you hear from someone way back in your past -- people whom you have not forgotten about, but you did not expect for paths to cross on the internet.

I just got an e-mail the other day from someone I had taught with at the Amory Middle School in the 60's. We taught together one year, and the next year he was my principal, and he then moved on to bigger and better things. Eventually I did too. At least we would hope that, but maybe we might have been better off in that situation -- who knows?

He, being a blogger too, had stumbled across Not Without Some Thought. We exchanged a couple of e-mails and sort of caught up on the last 40 years. Part of that time we were not living that far from one another, but neither of us knew. Maybe we can get together in the not too distant future and really relive some old times.

In one of Terry's e-mails he mentioned that Lori had e-mailed him inquiring if I were the same person who was at AMS when she was a student. She had stumbled across my blog as well. What an absolute small world this is, and it is getting smaller and smaller.

We were in Aberdeen not long ago visiting with Melinda's parents, and we had gone out to a catfish place on Coontail Road (The Friendship House or Bill and Jim's -- it goes by both names).
A lady came by the table, and she and Melinda talked for a minute and later the subject of my blog comes up and she says, "Oh, I have read it -- I know who Little Daddy is." Makes you wonder if you posted anything that might cause some trouble if you ever go back to Aberdeen.

This is really such an enjoyable experience. I read primarily the blogs of Travis and Laurette and their friends. All of them, of course, are much younger than I but are very, very talented individuals and write some great, funny stuff. To me nothing can compare to a sharp wit, and these bloggers are endowed with it. Yall keep up the good work and keep me laughing.

If there are others out there from the past who happen to stumble across this blog, please give me a comment or e-mail and maybe we can relive some good old times. I look forward to it, but if I have wronged you in some way or owe you money, I am not that person at all -- you've got me confused with someone else.

2 comments:

Terry Thornton said...

John, I'm glad that Lori asked if I knew you --- I don't have a clue as to how she found your blog. But I'm glad you are doing this -- and I agree with you that the Internet can connect you to some really "small world" events and weird folks!

I've put up a link to Not Without Some Thought over at Hill Country --- so I will be watching for those pithy comments that you think will get you in trouble with the Aberdeen crowd.

Good to locate you.

Terry Thornton
Hill Country of Monroe County (blog)

LWolfe said...

daddy, I'm really glad you are writing too. I already have an anthology of your letters you wrote me at camp, your daily emails, and i'm glad to add your blog to that too. thanks for your wit and wisdom. i love you and can't wait to see you tomorrow!
-your favorite daughter ;)