Thursday, October 18, 2007

Rock And Roll Giant To Get His Day

Ellas Otha Bates (78) aka Ellas O. B. McDaniel and better known in the music world as Bo Diddley will return to his hometown of McComb, Mississippi, on November 2-3 to be honored with a marker on the Mississippi Blues Trail.

The Dawgs have an open date that weekend, so there is no excuse for the likes of Travis Wolfe, who is prone to attend any music festival, not to attend the event. What could be more fun than a weekend in McComb? You could even have a bite to eat at the famed Dinner Bell Restaurant featuring a roundtable help yourself variety of country cooking favorites.

Back to Diddley -- he took the name from the "diddley bow", a one-stringed African instrument. In his performances he primarily used a rectangular-bodied Gretsch. Along with the Gretsch, nicknamed "The Twang Machine", Diddley used similar-shaped guitars made for him by other manufactures.

Bo Diddley played a rhumba-like beat which has been described as similar to the "hambone." For those of you who have never seen one do the hambone, you have missed out on a real treat. It brings back memories of my younger years.

"I've Got Spurs That Jingle, Jangle, Jingle", a song by Gene Autry, was the source of what is known as the "Bo Diddley beat." Diddley developed the beat while trying to play the Autry hit.

For you music buffs, the Bo Diddley beat can be counted out as a two-bar phrase:

One and two and three and four and one and two and three and four and -- the bolded counts are the clave rhythm. His sound cannot be properly created without tuning the guitar: 1st string E 329.6; 2nd string B 246.9; 3rd string G sharp 207.6; 4th string E 164.8; 5th string A 110.0; and 6th string E 82.4. Wow!

Those of you who might think that I understand what I have written in the above paragraph are utterly and completely wrong -- I do not have the foggiest idea what all of that means. It is all courtesy of Wikipedia, and if you need more information, you can read the 8 pages for yourself.

Like his music or not, his beat shows up in the songs of Elvis Presley, U2, The Smiths, Johnnie Otis, George Michael, The Strangeloves and BowWowWow, Guns N' Roses, David Bowie and the Stooges to name a few (courtesy of Wikipedia). Don't ask me who all of these people are -- I have heard some of the music by these artists, and I do vaguely remember the likes of "Willie and the Hand Jive" (Otis), "His Latest Flame" (Presley), "How Soon Is Now" (The Smiths) and "Faith" (George Michael), but probably Elvis is the only one I could pick out of a crowd.

So let's all meet in McComb and tailgate to the music of Bo Diddley.

As an aside -- a young man from Meridian, Mississippi, attended, along with his father, a Bo Diddley concert and later begged his dad to help him build a two-sided amp just like the one he had seen that Diddley built for himself. And as they say, the rest is history and Peavey Electronics was born. Hartley Peavey, a 1965 graduate of Mississippi State University, is known in the music business as a real genius and a man ahead of his time in developing and producing musical instruments. Go State! We Dawg folks even honored him in 2004 by granting him an honorary doctorate in creating and performing arts. Go Dawgs!

4 comments:

Caleb said...

Also that same weekend, Starkville will be holding the "Johnny Cash Flower Pickin' Festival," which will include Johnny's sister performing and a pardon for Cash's infamous night in Starkville City Jail.

Info at http://www.myspace.com/pardonjohnnycash

Little Daddy said...

Caleb,

Hey, you've been missing out on some of your reading. I refer you back to my post on Wednesday, September 12 -- "Starkville To Forgive Johnny Cash?" I'm going to let you slide this time but don't miss another of my posts.

Oh, by the way -- who is going to be your World Series team assuming that the Indians make it, or assuming they don't and Boston does? Or are you going to be like me and sit this one out?

Caleb said...

I remember you posting about it, but just thought I'd remind you it was the same weekend.

Work has been busy, as have classes, and I haven't had much time to post (nor has Tricia). I hope to pick back up soon (probably after baseball season to preserve the sanity of our readership).

I'm an NL guy, so I'm riding with the Rockies, regardless of who they play. I also like Todd Helton, the Rockies 1B who also played QB for the UT Volunteers immediately before Manning the First.

On the AL side, I would prefer the Indians make it. I've grown very tired of the Red Sox and their Nation. I like the young core talent and how Cleveland has assembled it (buy early, buy cheap, spread out your risk). So here's to the Rox and Tribe, with the Rox winning in 7.

Little Daddy said...

Even though I have always been an AL fan, I too hope that the Rockies win, but it would be sweet to me if they took it in 4 from the Sox -- a little dose of their own medicine.