Wednesday, October 24, 2007

A Few Notes On The World Series

My prediction, for what it is worth, is the Sox in six. I have mixed emotions about the Series because of one particular player for Boston, even though, being a Yankee fan, I have an intense dislike for the Red Sox.

A sports columnist for the Fort Worth Star-Telegram put it this way, "I have no doubt Boston will win the Series, but I have my doubts."

Home field is definitely an advantage for Boston, and who knows how the long layoff will effect the Rockies -- remains to be seen.

A great story written by Rick Cleveland in this morning's Clarion Ledger is recommended reading to baseball fans in general and particularly those of State and Ole Miss.

Cleveland sets up a senario of a matchup between former Mississippi State Bulldog great Jonathan Papelbon coming to the mound in relief to face pinch hitter Seth Adams, former Rebel. The game is on the line.

Rick goes on to dub Papelbon as the best relief pitcher in baseball and describes the actual senario happening in the 2003 Southeastern Conference Tournament in Hoover. Jonathan came in in relief to face pinch hitter Smith. Papelbon went right after Smith, not wasting any pitches and got two straight strikes. Smith fouled off the 3rd pitch and hit a looping single on the 4th to tie the game. State did go on to with the game in extra innings on Thomas Berkley's homer in the 12th. Papelbon retired Smith the other two times he faced him in their college careers, both on ground-ball outs.

The matchup would be worth watching and would bring a lot of Mississippi interest to the Series.

I have no doubt Boston will win, but I have my doubts.

4 comments:

Travis said...

Very interesting, MSU is everywhere even in the frigid north. I don't know much about the series, but i am with you, I think the break was way to long for the Rockies, but we will see.

Also wanted to give you this. Kyle Veazey, State beat writer for the dawgs, has a blog and it is very good. A great way to keep up with things not found in the paper.
http://www.clarionledger.com/misc/blogs/kyleveazey/kyleveazeyblog.html

Little Daddy said...

Yep, I read it most every day along with the one by the writer that does the Ole Miss blog -- you can keep up with their whinning there.

Thanks!

Caleb said...

Mr. Clark, I agree about the Sox winning, though I'm not sure that the layoff is the reason. The team won 21 of 22 games going into the World Series, an incredible winning percentage of .955--that's impossible to keep up.

In other news, I thought you would enjoy this story. Last night, Tricia and I went to a dinner theatre event that her little sister was in at the church. It was supposed to be set in a 1950s style diner and we were served food and saw little shows on the side and stuff. Anyway, during one time where we were playing BINGO, the lady in charge of BINGO wanted to do baseball trivia. She asked who won the World Series in 1956? Without missing a beat, I yelled out "Yankees!" She said that was right and jokingly asked me if I knew who the played. I thought for a second and said "Dodgers!" Right again. She asked if I knew who had pitched for the Yankees that year that had done something so magical. "Don Larsen". Anyway, Tricia was embarrassed, but I thought you would be glad to know that I remembered your 1956 World Series last night.

Little Daddy said...

Hey, you did great. I would have had trouble coming up with the correct answers.

Tricia should be proud of your baseball trivia skills -- not many can do that.

Yall have a great weekend.