Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Shiver Me Timbers!

According to a news story out of London, today is the day to "put a parrot on your shoulder, strap on a peg leg, hit the rum and start bellowing "Shiver Me Timbers" for today is International Talk Like A Pirate Day.

It is that day, once a year, that you can put on an eye patch, don a tricorner hat and keep on saying, "Arrrr."

Two American friends started the day as a cult joke in the 1990s, but then it really got a send off when syndicated columnist Dave Berry got into the act.

The popularity of "Pirates of the Caribbean" and performances of Johnny Depp have certainly brought a lot more people into the celebration as millions worldwide will observe the day.

One of probably the best celebrations is in Sydney, Australia, where a harbor cruise is being staged with "flagons of grog and treasure for the dandiest outfit."

I didn't dress as a buccaneer this morning -- I really don't have much pirate stuff in my closet. And I don't think there are many people in Collierville, Tennessee, (where I work) who are aware of what a big day it is. One might get some very funny looks shopping in WalMart in a pirate costume, but on the other hand I have seen stranger costumes there.

Speaking of Depp's movies, I really enjoyed the first, but the other two left a little to be desired. Apparently there is not another in the immediate future unless it is done without Orlando Bloom, or they will figure how to get him out of his 10-year exile -- oops, did I give away something to those of you who haven't seen it?

If I am ever kidnapped and cast upon a deserted island by a shipload of pirates, I would not be disappointed if they threw Keira Knightly on there as well -- she is a very lovely looking pirate.

So "Avast, me hearties!" and have a great celebration, but just sip the rum.

1 comment:

Terry Thornton said...

John, I like the "Ho Ho Ho and a Bottle of Rum" part best! What fun!
Thanks,
Terry Thornton
Hill Country of Monroe County, Mississippi